Moog Rogue: cleaning and repairing the dust shield
Between the top panel and the main PCB, the Rogue employs a sheet that fits around the controls to prevent dust from clogging the sliders and switches. For some reason, the material has a tendency to decay, and after 20 years, it’s likely that it has turned to crumbly black goo. This goo is horrible stuff, and will stick to anything. The only remedy is to scrape it away.
My own Rogue arrived after a clean, so I have no photos of this goo. But below is a picture of the switches collecting dust after using the Rogue with no dust protector for a while. Clearly it would be a good idea to not only remove the sticky residue from a decayed dust-shield, but to replace it so as to avoid having to clean all these contacts.
The best material I have found for the job is neoprene sheeting. It can be found at craft stores, or online, and comes in sheets around 2mm thick, which is ideal for this purpose. I use black sheets around 200 x 300mm in size, though it doesn’t matter much what size the sheets are because they will be cut into much smaller pieces for application.
If we look at the Rogue’s control panel, we can see a cluster of sliders, two separate sliders, and several switches spread across the surface. It would be possible but awkward to cut one sheet to fit all these holes at once, so I chose to use a simpler method: apply individual pieces to the switches, and use larger pieces for the sliders. The switches being relatively broad, I chose to use snug slip-on pieces over each switch. The sliders only need to poke through a slot, so I chose to attach slit pieces to the panel and have the slider tangs poke through.
Measuring the panel is easy enough:
The neoprene sheet can be marked with pencil, and scored and cut with a craft knife:
Here are some close-ups of the slider protectors:
Checking that it fits:
Fastening the sheets to the panel is also easy. Rather than glue, I use double-sided sticky tape. These strips are about 5mm wide. I buy broader tape and cut the lengths down the middle. Care should be taken applying these taped pieces to the panel as the adhesive sticks quite readily.
The pieces for the switches are more fiddly. I cut small rectangles and used a regular office hole punch to make the holes for the switch to poke through:
They happen to fit nicely. In retrospect, I would have used larger pieces, as these were a little narrow for my liking, but they still do the job.
Once the job is complete, the panel looks much neater from outside, and the likelihood of dust getting in to clog the controls and damage them is much lower: